Saturday, July 19, 2008

DAY 5 -- Dressform on a Foggy Morn

At a local auction about 6 weeks I spotted 6 wonderful dress form mannequins to be auctioned off. I scoped them out, decided which one I would bid on, then went to look at all the other items to be sold. 30 minutes later I return to the mannequin site and they're gone! The auctioneer decided to remove them from the auction and hold them for the antique auction to be held in another month, because they'd sell for more in an antique auction than in a household auction -- those buggers!



So, it took me awhile, but I finally got a new mannequin to photograph clothing on. My poor little blue form is falling apart. I used the new form yesterday for the first time to shoot some clothes on a foggy morning. I love the effect of the fog in the background.






4 comments:

Jai Johnson • JaiArt.Com said...

Oh I've always wanted a mannequin. Lucky you to have found such a nice one! I like the foggy effect behind your dress photo, too.

Kat Simpson said...

So did the dress forms go for more since he held them? Can't see what would make them antique? Curious . . . Kat

Fashion Schlub said...

Nice! I wish mine was on wheels. I hate using her. I'm trying to let BeyondtheGarden fade away into nothingness, finally...and I will sell the manni before I move...I just don't do as well with stuff on her as on live models...

Z-ville said...

Yes, the reason they moved the mannequins from the household to the antique auction was because they would bring more money. They said they would bring $15-20 in the household auction -- fine by me -- and $35-40 in the antique auction. They were right. My winning bid was $40 -- by the time they added tax and a $5 buyers premium, it was up to $47. I don't think they're antique at all -- just a nice quality. And the bidders at the antique auctions are more willing to bid higher than us cheapies that go to the household auctions!

The one I bid on was the only one with a wheeled base. The others were similar on top, but the bases were metal or wooden without wheels. I left an absentee bid, so I don't know what the others went for. She's pretty easy to wheel around, but the base is really, really heavy. She's a little difficult to move on the outside patio stones.