Greenwood Cemetery was formed in 1835 and has 47,000 graves spaces. It was the first public cemetery in Zanesville and was called the City Cemetery until changed to its present name in 1885.
The stone arch at the entrance was erected in 1887 when the name was changed from City Cemetery. At that time the cemetery was out in the country. It was reached by pedestrians on a board walk up the hill along the National Road.
New Soldier's Field in Greenwood Cemetery contains space for 430 graves. The first veteran buried in Soldier's Plot was William Dennison, who fought in the Revolutionary War.